Written by Larry Aiello
Garlic Italian Bread
6 servings or 1 loaf
55 minutes (40 min prep, 15 min cooking)
Caution, if you are going on a date, then you will not want to have this beforehand!
3-4 cloves garlic, whole
5 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 tablespoons butter, softened
1.5 to 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
salt, pepper,cayenne,to taste
parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced or shredded (optional)
1 loaf good Italian bread (even French bread will work well)
Preparation of Garlic Italian Bread
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Take a piece of foil and place whole garlic cloves in it, coating with a generous amount of olive oil.
- Wrap tightly.
- Bake until done, 20 min to 1/2 hour.
- Cloves will be done when sweet smelling, soft and golden brown.
- Split bread lengthwise.
- Remove excess dough.
- Mash roasted garlic with all other ingredients except cheeses.
- Spread cut surfaces of bread with butter mixture.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and layer bottom half with mozzarella.
- Press halves together and wrap tightly in foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees until outer crust is crispy and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and cut into thick horizontal slices.
- I like it just as it is, crispy outside, moist and chewy (and slightly saturated!) inside, but you could bake this open faced on a cookie sheet for a crisper texture.
- If you do this, put mozzarella on both sides.
- You can make the garlic butter ahead of time and refrigerate it.
- It's also to die for melted over hot pasta!