1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled & chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 lb sweet Italian sausage links casing removed and crumbled
Or you can use turkey sausage
2 teaspoons dry oregano
1 tablespoon dry basil
1-2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
1 1/2 cups canned chopped tomatoes with juice
3-4 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
1 can progresso cannellini beans
1 cup ditalini or small shell pasta
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Heat olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium high heat.
2. Cook onion in oil 2 minutes.
3. Stir in garlic, celery and carrots and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add and brown crumbled sausage.
5. Add basil, oregano and red pepper.
6. Toss to coat.
7. Stir in tomatoes and stock.
8. Bring to a boil.
9. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
10. If necessary, add an additional cup of stock or water and stir in beans
and tiny pasta.
11. Simmer for 6- 8 minutes or until pasta is tender.
12. Stir in parsley and serve hot with grated Parmesan cheese.