|Inside out Manicotti||| Print ||
1/3 cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb Italian sausage
1 (1 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (1 ounce) can tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 ounces dry ziti pasta
1. Cook pasta according to directions; drain.
2. In a large skillet, brown together ground beef, Italian sausage, onion
and garlic; drain.
3. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, fennel seed and salt.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to moderately low.
5. Simmer, covered, for 20 mins.
6. In a medium bowl, blend together ricotta, mozzarella, egg, black pepper
7. Cover the bottom of a 2-1/2 quart baking dish with about 1 cup of the
8. Layer with half of the ziti, half of the cheese mixture, 2 more cups of
the meat sauce and remaining ziti.
9. Top with remaining cheese mixture and meat sauce.
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and
cheese is melted.